Saturday, January 10, 2009

Ghajini by Nikhil


Verdict:
Disappointing

Yawn!: I've rated this movies movie in the negative first and foremost because of the high expectations associated with it. Well, there are many way more pathetic movies doing well all around, but Ghajini was supposed to be the movie of the year! and in my opinion it turned out to be nothing more than an unintelligent, ordinary film.
First of all, the entire concept of short-term memory loss has been wasted in the film, because on the whole it doesn't play any significant role in the story. For that matter, even the well-publicised tattoos on aamir's body or the maps and pictures posted on the walls at his place in the movie have nothing to contribute to the plot.. because ultimately the villian and his goons remove/destroy/erase all of them and the hero is left in a hospital not knowing what to do... c'mon man, add some kind of intelligence for us to appreciate! ... At the end of it all, if you analyze, had the hero lost his memory completely would have made no difference to the overall plot. Just to clarify here, I'm not trying to compare the film to Memento, but if some new element is being introduced in a film, it is not wrong to expect it to be more than just cosmetic.
Ghajini is just a regular "villian kills heroine, hero kills villian" story.. and with the hyped up promos and aamir in the lead, I expected better. Many things amiss... the flashback is too long, the comedy doesn't click, the villian is laughable and a persistently-angry, overactive, rhino-look-alike inspector don't do any good as well.

Cool!: Aamir is awesome, as usual. He fits the bill as the angry, frustrated, revenge-seeking man. Its a pity as the film doesn't do justice to the kind of effort he's put in for it. The action sequence at the end has been brilliantly done, and it kind of summarizes the anger built up within the particular character. I believe many people would end up loving the film just because of these particular reasons, but that doesn't include me.

___N I K H I L____



5 comments:

  1. First when i heard the name i thought its Ghanji- ni ;) and Amir i didn't expect this from you...:(
    I was holding my eyes and heart to see whats happening one scene after the other but every stage it was disappointing. Ghajini??? is a villian??? i thought its the name of the actress like Ghaj Gamini....lol...Nice moments ;)!!!! And those Tattoos!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder .... What kinda tattoos should have amir had there for your liking??? A Chinese dragon, a beautiful rose, cute li'l butterfly or a punctured heart??? hehehe!!! Oh come on!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nikhil: I believe the tattoos you're suggesting would seriously have been better.. those in the movie anyways dont play any part in the film.. atleast I would be seeing something I havent already seen.. losers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. dudes great beginning! Loved the reviews...well written but I have to go with aashim on this one...I loved the movie...all because of Aamir...I found the girl a little irritating..but a complete entertainer..Zinu

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gajjini is evocative of memento however it drifts towards the masala desi movie..I didnt quite enjoyed the ending which was quite abrupt. It could have been interesting by drawing more on the tattoos on his body.. Gajjini's phone number was on his body , I wonder why aamir was always searching for the guy whose phone number he saw every day..lol..??!! also how could such a famous industrialist ride in BEST buses and no one catch him..even his shareholders !!??..still nice attempt,good songs and asin khan..:)

    ReplyDelete