Monday, March 23, 2009

Gulaal by Ashim

























Rating: * * * *


Anurag Kashyap is creating trouble for himself. He has to raise the bar he has set for himself after DevD and now GULAAL. Gulaal wants you to wait for Anurag’s next film! It just makes you pray that he should never disappoint you! So, which one is a better film DevD or Gulaal?? I have been asked this question a couple of times. Gulaal has nothing in common with DevD. They are entirely different from each other.

The film doesn’t have big stars. Script, dialogues and the screenplay have pretty strong shoulders to carry the weight of the film with ease. It is a film about characters that are made so full of action that you really don’t require a huge star cast, item numbers and other entertainment constituents. Gulaal is thought-provoking and engages you till the end.

The script can be mystifying for common watcher. Well, it is apparent that Anurag doesn’t have a usual way of looking at things. He creates cinema that is not for wide audience. It is for intelligent (non-masala) movie goers who appreciate non-clichéd/ niche/ abstract thoughts. It is not radical and unconventional as DevD but still not conventional enough for everybody to decipher the message of the film. The script has 3 different tracks - student politics, separate state for Rajputs, passionate love story with a catastrophic end. It’s cerebral, powerful, intense, provocative and an immensely exciting flick.

Are you still sitting on your lazy asses?? Go watch Gulaal! I am going again....


_____ASHIM_____

1 comment:

  1. OK. Here I have a doubt. I am not sure if this movie is going to do or is doing just equally well everywhere. With its being "Cerebral" and everything, it has a plot that is complex and may not just reach to the same level for every audience. But speaking for myself, I LOVED IT. I love any movie that is gory enough. I love all Rambo movies. One of my favorite scenes in the movie is when Ransa is killed by his father's illegitimate son, Karan.
    While watching this movie, during the first 20 minutes, I said to my friend, "This is the first time that I am having difficulty understanding the plot of a bollywood flick in the beginning". It took me some more time to understand completely what I was watching. The narration and the cinematography was amazing.
    The politics of sex, craving for power, disregard for human life, royal politics of separatism, student unrest, slimy characters, perverted politics, Gulaal is many things at the same time. OK. This shows I am a fan. :)

    ReplyDelete